Skokie apartment complex evacuated after CO sickens residents
Updated: January 4, 2013 4:12PM
SKOKIE — Six residents of a Skokie apartment complex were hospitalized Friday after a leaky boiler flue led to high levels of carbon monoxide in the 48-unit complex.
Several occupants of the apartment complex in the 10000 block of Old Orchard Court in Skokie called the Skokie Fire Department about 8:30 a.m. and complained of feeling ill.
When fire personnel arrived, high levels of carbon monoxide were discovered throughout the three-story, 48 unit complex, the village said in a release.
The complex was evacuated and between 12 and 18 residents were brought to a warming area as fire personnel worked to clear the air.
Five adults and a child were taken to a hospital in good to fair condition, the village said.
The cause of the high CO levels was determined to be multiple leaks in the flue for the boiler and water heaters, according to the village. Repairs were expected to be complete by Friday evening, at which time residents can return to their homes.